Personal Data

My photo
Started UrbaneSpaces to cater to that niche market of design savvy individuals. UrbaneSpaces is a boutique real estate agency dealing with architecturally distinguished, unique properties. More on the company and some of the properties we have dealt with can be found on the website at urbanespaces.com

A contemporary aesthetic

I've freuqently wondered if I was truly, inherently, (intrinsically) a modernist or would I similarly be bowled over by the prevailing contemporary aesthetic.
Art deco, art nouveau, that era where Singaporeans discovered wealth and started buying in the 'Da Vinci' look(it's truly scary that you still see some real estate ads touting Da Vinci furniture like it's some sort of selling point), the proliferation of the Balinese villa aesthetic...
And actually I do remember my first reaction to St Martin's Residences when I was a relative newcomer to the real estate scene. I could see that it was an upscale, well finished, more popular development but was turned off by the 'perpetual holiday feel'. I think what I actually meant to say was that the faux representation of a vernacular aesthetic (so I'm still relentlessly plugging my first cross-disciplinary exhibition) was just not my cup of tea.
Given the prevailing fads in the housing market then, the most sought after developments amongst others were, in no particular order:
-Four Seasons
-Nassim Jade
-St Martin's Residences
-Ardmore Park(but of course)
-Scotts 28
-the relatively new Cuscaden Residences

My impressions-
Four Seasons I just did not like- I can't even pin down the reason.

Nassim Jade looks really cool from the outside, with its entrance, that, post-Da Vinci Code, looks like it possibly contains some sort of Masonic symbology. I loved those windows as well and the landscaping wasn't overdone. The interiors though, weren't necessarily impressive.

Ardmore Park- eh?

Scotts 28- funny, why do I not remember ever having seen the interiors of a unit in Scotts 28???

Cuscaden Residences- I somehow absolutely took to this development. The finishes were especially welcome given the rest of the other developements and I especially liked the water features in the common areas. There was a very light, bright ethos to the whole development. Never mind the fact that, in retrospect, the rooms could just be a little bit tiny...

In my mind though, Lincoln Modern would always be the first development that resonated with me aesthetically. Tracing the trajectory of my aesthetic awareness and development, I had found myself to be strongly attracted to modern houses that, even a fickle 2 years later, I still stand by as being amongst the best on the market.
The Lincoln Modern, however, was definitely the first development to so completely encapsulate and represent the modern ethos. I remember gushing in the earlier version of my website about the development, calling it 'a sister development in the hip troika'(which otherwise consists of The Ladyhill and 33 Robin) and waxing lyrical about how the only thing missing in the 'boutique hotel chic' development, was the check in/out counter.

Previously, the River Place was the preferred domicile of single expats, both for its proximity to significant clubbing spots and, I believe, the ratio of bored Japanese housewives. Chancing upon the Lincoln Modern was obviously exciting for me, given the choice and variety in residential developments at that stage. The loft concept, the stainless steel kitchen, the sophisticated panelling of zebra wood, those mirror ball curtains and pop furniture in the showflats- were leap years ahead from the vocabulary of contemporary housing developments.

So given my above initial reactions to the predominant aesthetic then(which was about 3-4 years ago?), I might be able to (safely) say, that instinctively, I lean towards a more modern aesthetic. Given the huge success of Lincoln Modern, though, I'm sure that I wasn't the only one who instinctively gravitated towards the new 'designer' look.

Needless to say, though, I've had different(sometimes simultaneous, often times consecutive), love affairs with different developments at different stages of my real estate career.

I do feel that I would have been less than enthusiastic about looking at random pieces of real estate had the modern look have been replaced by, say, the gaudy strain of Balinese(replicated by Singaporeans who've discovered their first Banyan Tree) or the arriviste aesthetic of a home completely furnished by Da Vinci.

No comments: